Our Comfort Skills for an Easier Labor class is a designed to provide all expecting families with the tools and confidence to support the birthing person’s physical and emotional well-being during labor and birth. Whether you are planning a medicated or unmedicated birth, this class that will help you bring more ease and comfort to your labor and birth. Together, we will explore practical, natural pain relief techniques to facilitate a calm, comfortable environment that supports normal, physiologic labor and birth.
- Discuss the value of comfort measures in labor.
- Review a variety of comfort measures for labor and birth.
- Demonstrate and practice comfort measures for use during labor and birth.
- Discuss how we can overcome barriers to providing comfort measures in various birth settings.
- Integrate what we have learned into a comfort measures labor rehearsal.
Participants will be introduced to a variety of comfort measures that will help dad or the birth partner best support the laboring mother through all of the phases and stages of labor. We will cover positions, massage, acupressure, comfort tools, and more. This class is ideal for expecting parents who want to feel prepared with valuable tools and techniques that promote connection, warmth, and a feeling of well-being during their labor and birth experience.
Class participants are encouraged to wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring 2 bed pillows, their birth ball, and a water bottle to class.
- The value of upright, active labor and birth
- Benefits of comfort measures
- Common comfort measures tools
- Early labor activities
- Environment for labor and birth
- Positions for labor and birth
- Birth and peanut balls
- Double hip squeeze
- Counter pressure
Course Length: 3.5 hours (with a short break)
Instructor: Shalin Butterworth, CD(DONA), CPpD, CLEC, Evidence Based Birth® Instructor, Doula and Parent Mentor
Shalin is experienced supporting expecting families from pregnancy through postpartum. Her focus is on addressing the well-being of the family unit, with an emphasis on evidence-based education and respectful, compassionate support.
Nest Subscribers, enter 'Subscriber' in the coupon entry for your discount
This class is NOT an childbirth class but an add-on class for first time parents or a refresher class for parents who have birthed previously.